Employment opportunities updated on February 7, 2023. To apply for any position, send resume, 3 references, and a bit about why you want this particular job to director at vcconferences dot org. Please, no phone calls.
Current Job Openings:
Food Service Manager
The Valle Crucis Conference Center is searching for a Food Service Manager who has a passion for preparing nourishing and delicious food for groups of up to 150. Supervise and hire all kitchen staff, manage scheduling, and serve as the main point of contact of the kitchen for all staff. Oversee the inventory and ordering of food, equipment, and supplies. You understand what hospitality is. Part of that understanding is shown by maintaining a clean, safe, and welcoming dining hall environment. The ideal candidate will have a welcoming demeanor, excellent leadership and administrative abilities, ability to lead a team and communicate throughout the ministry, vision and passion for outdoor ministry, and creative food service skills for all ages. Above all, you understand food as part of a larger ministry of community, environment, and faith.
Benefits include salary, health insurance, and pension, and a ton of time off in the slow season.
The Valle Crucis Conference Center is a ministry of the Episcopal Diocese of Western North Please send resume, list of at least 3 professional references, and a letter saying why you want this particular job to VCCC attn.: Executive Director, P.O. Box 654, Valle Crucis, NC 28691, or to the email provided. Must be over 18 with a valid driver’s license; background check and interview will be required. Position open until filled.
- Associates’ degree or higher in culinary arts, hospitality and/or food service management
- 3-5 years’ experience in a commercial kitchen or restaurant setting
- 2-3 years in a supervisory role
- Current ServSafe Certification strongly preferred
- Experience with community gardens, organic gardening practices, local food grower initiatives, or other community-based food initiatives a big plus.
- Must understand volume cooking in a tasty way. Meals and menus must be innovative, interesting, nourishing, and above all, good.
- Develop and maintain lasting, meaningful partnerships with local food growers, community gardens, and sustainable agriculture initiatives. Understand and appreciate Valle Crucis as part of a larger context of mountain community, learning, and Episcopal faith.
- Responsible for identifying staffing needs; works with director to fill needed positions; supervise, monitor, and evaluate all food service staff; implement performance management; work with director to release employees if necessary.
- Trains all personnel in proper hygiene practices, kitchen cleanliness, and customer service standards
- Writes all kitchen schedules, ensures all shifts are covered and work is distributed equitably
- Assigns personnel to cleaning, organizing, food prep, and cooking duties as required
- Works with director and business manager to ensure accurate guest meal counts
- With minimal supervision, develops all menus, bearing in mind nutrition, taste, variety, cost, guest requirements, seasonality and ingredient availability
- Orders all food, ensures quantity and quality specified
- Manages relationships with all food service vendors
- Develops cost analysis methods and report costs per meal to Director on monthly basis
- Develops and maintains records system, including appropriate food safety and cleaning logs
- Monitors waste and educates employees in how to minimize waste
- Maintains first in/first out system for rotating both refrigerated and dry stock
- Responsible for cleanliness of the kitchen, dining hall, and peripheral storage and break rooms
- Responsible for all health inspection ratings
- Oversees any cleaning or light maintenance of area
- Works with property manager and director to schedule all heavier maintenance or repair
- Checks all equipment to ensure proper working order
- Analyzes mechanical and structural needs of kitchen and develops and monitors five-year plan
- Other duties as assigned by director
- Pay is between $38-45,000 per year depending on experience. 40 hours/week expected.
- Benefits include:
- 9% pension (403B)
- Full health insurance at 80/20, with premiums paid by employer (including vision, dental, prescription, and mental health)
- Life insurance
- Meals taken on-site as available
- Paid time off AND plenty of time in the off season.
- Your own kitchen – you set the menu, you build your crew, you control your environment.
- You are part of a really wonderful ministry team that cares about each other deeply and in the stewardship of a Thin Place.
Full COVID-19 vaccination STRONGLY ENCOURAGED. Please send resume and brief letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. Interview and 3 reference checks will be required before hiring decisions are made. All employees may be subject to random drug screening. Must have valid driver’s license and/or reliable transportation. Position open until filled.